Thursday 30 July 2009

Easy like Sunday mornings.


Nom nom nom.

Summer is a great time to pack a basket full of goodies and drive over to a park or meadow or beach with your partner/friends and have a relaxing day of munching and gossiping. Sudoku, checkers and reading are also very civilised picnic activities. Everyone's taste is different but here are my favourite picnic treats:

Elderflower juice: It's so delicious and the perfect refreshment for a summer's day. Homemade lemonade is also good. Tea is a good accompaniment, but keeping it warm can be a problem.

Potato salad: I don't even like this normally but somehow it works when you're sitting on the grass. It also helps that it's not too messy. Pasta salad is also a tasty option since you can add anything you like to it.

Sandwiches: Using baps instead of normal sliced bread makes this more special for me. Fillings really depend on my tastebuds at the time but I adore some fatty chicken, bacon, avocado and mayo filling!

Pork pies: Not healthy in the slightest but it's not like I eat them all the time so it's a nice summer treat. They don't even need heating up which is even better.

Berries: Raspberries, blackberries and blueberries are my fruit of choice since there is no need to peel anything and no pips/seeds to spit out. For the same reason, grapes are also a great choice.

Mini cakes: To avoid bringing too much cutlery get some of Mr. Kipling's finest or some Cadbury's mini rolls. The bakery section of any supermarket is always full of mouthwatering sweets.

Alternatively... order a KFC bucket with chips, beans and coleslaw sides, a bottle of Pepsi and their cheesecake dessert and BOOM; instant picnic.

PS I enjoyed this article about the Famous Five and their picnic foods! Reading it made my stomach rumble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your blog is really lovely i've added your blog to my lovely reads page :)

Sher said...

I tried commenting last night but it just won't go through.

Anyway, just wanted to say your picnic treats sounds lovely and is making me hungry:P

Oh I love reading when the Famous Five have their midnight snacks and picnic food!! Brings back good memories:)